Thursday, August 21, 2014

Alaska

The last two years have been filled with great accomplishments. Zac and I both graduated from BYU. Zac graduated with a masters, we both got big kid jobs and.......we celebrated FIVE whole years of marriage! Being busy with school, jobs, moving, etc. we decided to go on one big vacation to celebrate everything we had done.
We decided on a seven day Alaskan cruise. Oh my gosh, it was pure heaven. No phones, no internet, no work, unlimited amounts of food, just Zac and I for seven days in Alaska. I took way too many pictures and if I posted them all here it would take a day to get through all of them.


Ketchikan, AK

Ketchikan was our first stop. It is supposedly the rainiest city in the U.S. however, it was absolutely beautiful weather while we were there. We went ziplining which was awesome! There was another Mormon couple in our group who were both BYU fans then both of our guides were U of U graduates. Haha.










Juneau, AK

Zac really wanted to do or see something that was very Alaskan. The dog sledding was way too expensive so the next best thing was going to a glacier. We saw the Mendenhall Glacier. It was amazing! I have never seen anything like it. It was pretty cold and wet, but after living in the Northwest for awhile it didn't bother us at all.







Skagway, AK

Our next stop, Skagway, we took a train ride along the old trail to the Klondike gold rush area. The views from the train ride were so beautiful! My camera does not do it justice. There was a lot of history in this small town. Because the Klondike gold rush area was in Canada, the Canadian government required each person coming into Canada in search for gold to bring with them one ton of supplies. That is 2,000 lbs! Some of these guys had to hike this trail over 30 times to get all of their supplies.













Victoria B.C. 

We were only in Victoria for a view hours, so we just walked around. Victoria is actually really close to Seattle so I am sure that Zac and I will go back and see more of the Island. Everything from the buildings to the views were gorgeous.






Cruisin' 

I think the best thing about going on a cruise is that you don't have to worry about anything. Transportation, room, food, entertainment are all taken care of. Amazingly, with all of the food and eating like 5 desserts a day, Zac and I hardly gained any weight. :)



The view from our room as we were leaving Seattle

The had a minute to win it competition on board. Sadly, Zac and I did not complete our challenges. But we had a lot of fun anyway.


This is the sweet couple that sat with us at dinner. There are from Peru and spoke hardly any English. Boy, was I glad that Zac could speak Spanish or it would have been pretty awkward. 




Zac entered the ping pong tournament and made it all the way to the championship round. He ended up getting 2nd overall.


The views from our room were unbelievable! Everyone told us to get a balcony for the Alaska cruises and we are so glad we did.
We had so much fun! We ended up winning a total of three bottles and two glasses of Champagne. Haha. We gave it away, since, you know, we don't drink.
We also met a lot of fun people. We met one couple from Oregon who were married the day after us and it turned out that we were on the same cruise for our honeymoons five years ago! Small world. I guess we will see them again in five years on our next cruise. haha.
It is hard coming back to the real world with real problems after such a great vacation. It was a great break from everything. Now, I think I am suffering from Zac withdrawals after being with him for a whole week. ;)

3 comments:

  1. So gorgeous!!! I'm glad you got to go and had such a wonderful time. Your pictures almost make me want to brave the cold of Alaska to see it for myself. Happy anniversary! And, we're so glad you're close too! Thanks for letting us come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! Beautiful pictures :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun and beautiful! And a very handsome couple.

    ReplyDelete